Monday, 5 August 2013

IS SHE A NURSE?....

Wonders will never end! I visited home sometime back and my favorite aunt (that keeps me well GISTED) was unusually scarce. When she eventually came around, she explained that a particular human being she calls her nephew came back from the U.S and wanted a NURSE for a wife, so she embarked on taking him to families (she knows) that have nurses-as daughters. I have not stopped thinking of how FUNNY both of them would look, going from house to house in search of a NURSE wife for the abroad returnee.

Nothing less than FOUR friends that are based abroad (all in the U.S) have indicated their interest to pick a wife from home but SHE MUST BE A NURSE! The character of the lady or the kind of family she comes from is not a part of the equation for now...as long as she is a nurse. It was so bad that one even asked me to approach a few ladies (especially those in their final year)at the school of nursing here in Lagos on his behalf but when I gave him my bills…...he ran without looking back.
A few years back, a man (he lives in the U.S) that once asked for my
hand in marriage was appalled that my ultimate goal is to end up in the (University )class room as a lecturer; he wondered why I was not thinking of joining him in the U.S and going for a nursing degree right away. My response was WHY? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR WHO WILL HELP PICK THE BILLS? IF YOU GO FOR A NURSING DEGREE WHILE I FOCUS ON MY LECTURING JOB HERE,WILL THAT MAKE YOU LESS OF A MAN? He never contacted me afterwards.
Like one of them explained when I queried this embarrassing craze for NURSE BRIDES…one who desires to live a comfortable life abroad(especially in the U.S.) cannot achieve that if a spouse does not bring something tangible to the table too.That may be a plausible concern but I do not think I will look kindly on any man who desires to have me in his life because I am BERTHA- THE NURSE, first and foremost. 
 We have all been harping on the alarming rate at which marriages are taking a nose dive but this is how it starts…when motives (for choosing a marriage partner) are questionable.

I expect that SHARED VALUES (and not the capacity to pay bills) should form the bedrock of every union. Every marriage is bound to be shaken to its very roots by life’s challenges and I can’t even begin to imagine the fate of a marriage that is not deeply anchored. God forbid NURSE WIFE is unable to bring in the money tomorrow (for some reason).
Will the man take the TURN OF FORTUNE in good fate???



No comments: